What do you need to build your own DIY Powerwall?
- Choose a cell type. I prefer LFP prismatic cells for large energy capacity, but Lead Acid AGM batteries are a good low tech option.
- Choose a voltage and capacity. 16 LFP cells in series is 51V and is a good match for a lot of battery inverters. Most LFP prismatic cells range from 50 to 300 Ah. You can stack them in parallel too. A 16S1P system with 280Ah cells would be about 14kWh same as a Tesla Powerwall
- Choose a BMS (if using lithium). I prefer Nuvation BMS because it is high quality, reliable, and UL certified, but there are many other options available too.
- Choose an inverter. There are many options, so far I prefer Schneider, Outback, Sol-Ark, Victron, and Samlex. There are many more high quality (and low quality) inverters, but these are good brands to start with.
- Plan your build. The hardest part is construction the cells into a safe pack. Below are some products that are helpful for build your own DIY Powerwall.
DIY Battery Pack Essentials
Let me know in the comments below if there is other equipment you need for a DIY battery pack build.