What do you need to build your own DIY Powerwall?
- Choose a cell type. I prefer LFP prismatic cells for large energy capacity, but Lead Acid AGM batteries are a good low tech option.
- Choose a voltage and capacity. 16 LFP cells in series is 51V and is a good match for a lot of battery inverters. Most LFP prismatic cells range from 50 to 300 Ah. You can stack them in parallel too. A 16S1P system with 280Ah cells would be about 14kWh same as a Tesla Powerwall
- Choose a BMS (if using lithium). I prefer Nuvation BMS because it is high quality, reliable, and UL certified, but there are many other options available too.
- Choose an inverter. There are many options, so far I prefer Schneider, Outback, Sol-Ark, Victron, and Samlex. There are many more high quality (and low quality) inverters, but these are good brands to start with.
- Plan your build. The hardest part is construction the cells into a safe pack. Below are some products that are helpful for build your own DIY Powerwall.